Sunday, March 05, 2006

The Year's Best Movies

My Top 10 list for the year 2005.
  1. Crash: Powerful parable about racism. Quite the antithesis to "Good Night, and Good Luck" in its ability to create brilliant scenes of overwhelming realism out of a manifestly artificial and overtly manipulative plot.
  2. The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada: This poetic and moving pseudo-Western plays like mellowed-down Peckinpah. I'll let Jim Emerson sing its praises.
  3. Sin City: A visual marvel by a master of pastiche.
  4. Munich: Spielberg continues to dabble with greatness while mixing in the occasional stinker like War of the Worlds.
  5. Tristram Shandy: A Cock and Bull Story: Delightful British comedy that I saw last week. Equal parts Truffaut and Charlie Kaufman, with a number of filmic and literary allusions thrown in.
  6. Syriana: The best George Clooney film of the year.
  7. Brokeback Mountain: Good but overrated. Review here.
  8. Batman Begins: Worthy continuation to the franchise created by Tim Burton.
  9. The Constant Gardener: One of the smartest, best-made movies of the year.
  10. Match Point: Woody Allen's best movie in ages. Wickedly ironic and displays Allen's usual brand of nihilism.
Other notables: Cinderella Man, In Her Shoes, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

The following movies might well have made my Top 10 had I gotten around to seeing them. In alphabetical order:

Capote, Cache, Grizzly Man, A History of Violence, Hustle & Flow, Junebug, King Kong, Murderball, The New World, The Squid & The Whale.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!!
Finally, a blog update!

3/05/2006 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

walk the line!!! not even a mention!?

3/05/2006 6:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm searching for information on how to shoot and edit videos for a business idea, when I came upon your blog.This is a great blog you have.
Anyway the only place I've found for my business idea is here educational video production. They have a great course on DVD's but it's little expensive for me at the moment.
I'm definitely going to bookmark you and come back

Regards
Alan

3/06/2006 6:52 AM  
Blogger Truly Yours said...

I still miss to appreciate George Clooney in Syriana. His role was stereotypical and probably expressed no remarkable deviant that bought Clooney accolades.

3/08/2006 5:36 AM  
Anonymous sankar said...

Good one Prasanna

Was just going thro the Network lab page of IIT Madras. Saw your id as @stanford and landed at ur homepage & blog

ur Stanford HomePage & contents are damn good

4/18/2006 5:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Brokeback Mountain and can fall under only the best movies category.

3/26/2008 12:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love Sin City... I watch only the best movies.

4/03/2008 1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home