Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Killers vs. Franz Ferdinand

As I've been giving my hard-earned PC-to-home-theater wiring a workout, I had occasion to go back and listen to the debut albums of two of the biggest successes of 2004, Franz Ferdinand and The Killers. Which, of course, inevitably led me to debate which of the two bands is better. As I weighed the case, I was struck by how eerie a parallel I was able to draw with my grappling over the Beatles vs. Stones question.

Franz Ferdinand is like the Beatles of the new age -- all the way from their sharp dressing to their sizzling tunes that catch on at the first listening -- but with a better sense of music and no annoying "Yeah Yeah Yeah" chorus. The Killers, on the other hand, are more like the Stones -- darker, grungier, high on the hirsuteness, and with songs that tend to grow on you more slowly. If I had to choose today, I'd go with Franz Ferdinand for the sheer joy and inventiveness of their music, but I reserve the right to change my mind in a few years as the bands evolve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home